+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epos ES14 upgrade

Default Epos ES14 upgrade

I have a pair of Epos ES 14 Speakers which are currently out of commission and in the attic. There is an issue I believe with one of the bass drivers. I have removed it and it seems free but on deep bass passages of music it just doesn't sound right.

The tweeters I think could do with a change too.

Is it easy to obtain spares for these speakers, I'm just wondering if it is worth doing if it is costly.

Thanks.

IIRC epos speakers use a very simple crossover design or no crossover at all and the drivers are designed to roll off at the desired crossover frequency. If you change the drivers it might be best to get direct replacements otherwise you may cause more problems.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Thank you, I will do some searching, maybe Lockwood Audio may be able to give me an idea of cost etc, thanks again.

They come up on a well known auction site quite often and quite inexpensive too.

You could use the woofers from this pair.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epos-ES-14...sAAOSweIlZYqCn
    Last edited by TIU; 20th July 2017 at 21:36.

Thanks, looks like another pair of speakers may be the affordable option, I will have a think about my options first, thanks again

By the time you have sourced a driver, the cost and hassle of fitting it, it's probably cheaper to buy an old donor pair.

try wilmslow audio , they have been more than helpful in replacing the drivers from three very different speakers for me , and the guys are very helpful and a pleasure to speak to you

Quote Originally Posted by samz View Post
    I have a pair of Epos ES 14 Speakers which are currently out of commission and in the attic. There is an issue I believe with one of the bass drivers. I have removed it and it seems free but on deep bass passages of music it just doesn't sound right.

The tweeters I think could do with a change too.

Is it easy to obtain spares for these speakers, I'm just wondering if it is worth doing if it is costly.

Thanks.

You could but my big sonys for a change they sound easily as good as the expos, I had a set of expos a long time ago I like the big sound and the propper low bass on them , these sonys have a 12 bass and a lovely quality neodinium magnet on them plenty of clout and work also at low levels as well , propper speakers top to bottom , I would say , I am a professional musician and can listen in detail to any music on these and find them very satisfieying , easy to pick up all th music in the track , regards rich ,

There's nothing like a good thread ambush lol. The 12 inch drivers could be too much for his room.

Put them on ebay Richie, they will go for what they're worth.

I think I will look out for some spares for them. They do produce a really nice midrange which is their strongpoint. The treble can be a little tinny sounding though but there are modifications that can be done to improve these. I've had great fun owning them and took some work getting the best placement to get the most out of their performance.
    A shame one of the drivers don't quite sound right, I have removed the driver and turned it and refitted it but no improvement.
    They are still very popular speakers and some have moved on to more modern speakers only to return to the ES14's.

+ Reply to Thread