+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Progress?

Blog Entries

Question Progress?

we had the men (well man) from Virgin come to install the latest version of the TiVo box, yesterday. Present box has been relocated to the kitchen, where my partner glazes her ceramics, which can be a long job (several hours), and the new box sits by the hifi.

Installation took about 2 hours! but the new box is much smaller and neater, IMHO. The new scart interconnect, (which I just bought) has been replaced by HDMI, and although the TV accepts HDMI, it is a real pain setting it up each time. However, the picture is better (and much better on the kitchen system!).

But the down side. I have a small DAC inline between the box and the hifi for when the sound deserves a better airing. I have noticed that on some channels which offer HD, that the sound (via the hifi) is in stereo, whereas it is only in mono on the non-HD channel, and with a much poorer top end!

To my great annoyance, with the new box, all HD channels result in a very loud squawking sound. I think this is a problem with the DAC not being able to cope. The output level on ordinary channels seems less, too, resulting in my 200 Watt per channel (well 100 +100 watt per channel system) having to be set at 3 o'clock on the volume dial, instead of 12 o'clock

In the digital age, are we too quick to call new things progress?

Fortunately, the radio from the Tivo is still good enough for casual listening, and better than it was, now rivalling the output from my computer.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

On a similar note, my 84 yo mother recently 'updaraded' to Sky Q.

The nice people at Sky called her after a week to ask how she was getting on with her sooper dooper new box. Her reply shocked them a little.

"How am I any better off? Its the same old repeats day after day. Some of them are even older than ME!"

"Oh but madam, you can record up to 6 different programs at one time!"

"Listen sonny, I can't even find one thing worth recording never mind six. Thank god this thing was free."

My mum is a marvellous woman.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

I tried to get the new Virgin V6 box yesterday but was told I needed to pair it with Virgin 100Mb broadband. I have broadband for free with my job and my employer is a provider so I don't need it twice so I declined. I have ended up going to TiVo but I have never liked the interface so it should be interesting to see how that goes. It is cheaper than the V+ box I presently have though so I am a few quid up at least!
    Bryan, go into your settings and make sure sound is set to PCM or LPCM. If the sound you hear is not because your DAC doesn't like 48k, it will be because the HD channels are Dolby Digital Surround so get your box to downmix everything.

Blog Entries

unfortunately, its just a simple DAC, as recommended by the Prof. I suppose I will have to get a Dolby capable box, which isn't a bad idea, as I want to go to surround sound eventually. Thanks for the input.

I wonder why it used to work on HD?

My partner just tried to use her laptop to connect wirelessly to the interweb, and counldn't. After 35 minutes talking to Virgin, they said it was due to her operating system (Ubuntu!), so she put the phone down! Progress, indeed...

I heard yesterday someone say 'don't wait for the future, invent it!' if this is what it's going to be like, give me the stone age any time soon.

stop press! update. I have just ordered a 5.1/2.1 decoder. Hope it works!
    Last edited by cat's squirrel; 12th September 2017 at 13:56.
    cheers.....Bryan

You should be able to tell the box to output everything in stereo but an external down mixer should get the job done.

I keep having sky call me up, the conversation goes like this each time -

Sky - 'can we interest you in a TV/broadband package?'

Me - 'no, you do ADSL which isn't as fast as I have with Virgin and I don't watch TV'

Sky - 'how fast is your connection?'

Me - '200Mb'

Sky - 'why do you need something so fast?'

Me - 'I work from home and do a lot of large file transfers and video calls'

Sky - 'We could do you an 80Mb connection with a TV bundle'

Me - 'That's slower and I don't watch TV, it would be of no use to me'

Sky - 'but would be better value than Virgin'

Me - 'Nothing is better value if it's not something you want'

Sky - 'well it would be less than what you're paying'

Me - 'I could pay Virgin less and get an 80Mb connection instead of the 200Mb one'

Sky - 'But we could offer a great TV package'

Me - 'look, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't watch TV, I've no interest in it, can't remember the last time I watched something on TV'

Sky - 'OK maybe Sky isn't for you, we'll remove you from our mailing list'

Me - 'that's great, thanks'

2 days later....

Sky - 'can we interest you in a TV/broadband package?'

Me - 'sigh!'

They never call me. No one calls me. I have no one to play up.

Blog Entries

I have just received my Dolby box. After a little fiddling, it seems to be working. First listen was very confusing, dialogue from the TV, and background music from the hifi!

Sorted that, then onto some HD programme, adverts at first, and a quacking sound! Oh no, no progress! More fiddling (mostly blind ignorance) and it seems to be working. Sound very poor, as if there is a loose connection. Put it onto Radio 3, and it works, but again, poor sound.

I have had it on the Radio3 channel for about 20 minutes, and the sound seems to be improving.

Does 'digital' need a burn in period?
    cheers.....Bryan

Digital squidital.

Blog Entries

OK, still got squeaky adverts, and poor sound, especially on Sky Sports (no surprise there, then!).

Changed Dolby to PCM in 'settings', and much better sound, what a difference. But does that mean no Dolby decoding? No surround sound?
    cheers.....Bryan

When I had a 5.1 system, the settings confused the hell out of me. Maybe ask in an AV forum?

Blog Entries

all seems to be working OK now. Machinations going on that mere mortals have no knowledge of! Thanks TIU and cable monkey.
    cheers.....Bryan

+ Reply to Thread