+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hercules 2 circuit diagram

Default Hercules 2 circuit diagram

Hi,

so I unplugged my deck to do some dusting, plugged it back in and it's gone bang, cooked a resistor off the switch input (which is odd).

Anyway it's dead now but I can't see anything obviously poorly so will need a diagram ideally to see what's what (and identify the value of that dead resistor) if anyone has a copy that would be ace.

Thanks

I found a photo so was able to read the resistor colours. \o/

One of the switching transistors has blown, will fix and get rid I think, don't like the design as they get very hot, unsurprising I think that switching it off and on again caused it to pop.

Need to source a Lingo I think.

have you asked Stamford(I think they are the importers)if it's normal to run hot? there may be another issue that can be fixed causing this,I know the Valhalla boards do run hot and as the herc is based on that design so it may be inherent but also may not be

Yeah they're supposed to run hot, too hot to touch hot. Swapped out the dead transistor and resistor but it's still dead so probably a logic fault.

Will get there.

linn supply or used to supply a service kit for the Valhalla,as the herc is based on it it may be an idea to find out which components that kit replaced and see if they are common to the herc as they were components that were affected by the heat/age on the Valhalla board,there is a guy in Sheffield who services the Valhalla,he may do the Hercules as well?

You could replace every component on the board for about 30 so I'm not overly worried that it's not repairable. Diagram makes it easier.

Blog Entries

have u tried running it at 45rpm instead of 33rpm?
    I've seen one of these that the speed control crystal had gone faulty and board appears dead...i replaced the crystal that stamford supplied and was fine

does you board have a label with a serial number on it?
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

There's no power to the switch, doesn't light up.

No serial number on it. I bought it 2nd hand and it needed caps and transistors then as it was horribly cooked.

I'll figure it out, had to spend the weekend painting bedroom doors so not had chance for further investigation.

Blog Entries

sounds like it may be a import from hong kong job rather than a stamford unit

the wee chips on board can cost a few squid each and I've found from experience that you can remove the chips and fit with insertable pin base fittings...this makes swapping a chip easy for fault finding
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

It is a import from Edmund on Mober that Stamford Audio has.
    Drop a mail on chanedmund7@netvigator.com and se what you get back.

/L
    Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), Dynavector DRT XV 1S, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Linn Cirkus, Linn Radikal Klimax, Tranquility
    https://www.linnarts.se

+ Reply to Thread