+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planar 3 from 1978, which arm?

Default Planar 3 from 1978, which arm?

I have in my posetion a v. near mint 1978 Planar 3, however the R200 antiskate is stuffed and will not play without skipping, I do have a J7 rewired RB250 and an RB300, which should I fit?
    bearing in mind the other will go on my Rock II.

The 250 originally came off the Rock, so I'm thinking put it back on and put the 300 on the Planar as the later models had these fitted as standard.

Then I can get the R200 seen to.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Are you putting arm on to sell it Steve? Will you even use it? If I was you I'd be modding the deck, the Planar 3 is not going to come close to the Rock, it's like playing the rock, but with your bass drivers disconnected so I'd be cannibalising the drive system and doing some funky plinth with it, just for shits and giggles, and saving your best sounding of the two Rega arms for the Rock.

I had a Planar 3 with an RB300. Bloomin great deck with ample bass. You just don't like Rega at all Prof.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I had a Planar 3 with an RB300. Bloomin great deck with ample bass. You just don't like Rega at all Prof.
    Ok so I was exaggerating but I'm comparing it with a Townsend Rock, you may have enjoyed the Rega when you had it, but go back now and listen to it compared to your current deck, then you'll hear its faults.

No not selling any of my TTs, just wondering which arm would be best suited.
    3rd TT is a stiffened Luxman PD264 with a Hadcock GH228/V15 type III with Jico Neo SAS/SS, the arm was rewired by Johnnie last year with some super flexi VdH wire.
    This TT combination sound really nice too.

I use both the Rock and Luxman at the moment.

What, side by side like a DJ, scratching?

Of course not silly, they are about 6 feet apart spindle to spindle plus I only have 1 Phono stage at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    I have in my posetion a v. near mint 1978 Planar 3, however the R200 antiskate is stuffed and will not play without skipping, I do have a J7 rewired RB250 and an RB300, which should I fit?
    bearing in mind the other will go on my Rock II.

The 250 originally came off the Rock, so I'm thinking put it back on and put the 300 on the Planar as the later models had these fitted as standard.

Then I can get the R200 seen to.
    you can buy a kit to fix the anti-skate on the arm ,it'll be the toothed belt that has perished and snapped:-common issue,may not be available nowadays,tried searching for it and only references I find are links to a guy who sold them via ebay who now appears to be no longer trading
    Last edited by steve195527; 21st September 2017 at 20:29.

+ Reply to Thread