+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A little ....possibly Legal advice?

Default A little ....possibly Legal advice?

I must have the patience of a saint.

I ordered a new TT last Feb:-

Michell Gyro SE
    Techno Arm
    HR Power Supply
    Ortofon Quintet Black S Cart

TT, Arm and Cart arrived in March ( I paid all upfront including for a Project RCM)

The TT was setup instore and cart installed prior to me picking it up (I've neither the tools nor the presence of mind to install a cart I fear). HR power supply was to arrive as soon as available.

On getting the TT home and installed I couldn't get it truly level and ended up having to partially dismantle in order to put one of the suspension springs on the correct way! Having done this all was good and I do remember posting a few pics on here.

SO my problem.....It is now October and there is no sign of my HR power supply. I have contacted the Dealer a few times (we are limited to very few HiFi outlets here in N.I) and he assures me that Michell have been contacted many times to no avail and that they are a nightare to deal with.

Last Friday I contact Michell and they appear to have no record of the HR power supply being ordered nor any contact in Aug or Sept from my dealer.

Alarm bells now. So I have no receipt of purchase only emails (I paid by credit card though so I am ok). I also note that although the store fitted my cart they did not supply any serial number, packaging etc so I am limited should I wish to change, upgrade or sell in the future!

A little paranoid voice in the back of my head is telling me I may have been:
    a) given the shop demo cart
    b) being kept waiting on the off chance of a used HR power supply.

So should I just pack up the lot and demand they take it back? I'm at a loss as to how a business can run like this.

Is the dealer an authorised supplier for Michell? I would have thought they should be mighty peaved at their reputation being sullied by a shoddy dealer.

I think you have been more than patient and its time to get the tackety boots on and kick some ass.

Tell them you've spoken to Michell and see what they say. Give them a time limit to get it sorted then I'd be threatening legal recourse and using to social media to shoo them along a bit.

Very cheeky of them.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Michell are literally off the phone to me there. Apparently a power supply was only ordered in August! As no payment was received to Michell they quite understandably have not sent out any power supply.

How they expect any return business from me is a mystery.

I had also agreed to let them have my old Project TT in part payment towards the cartridge but I doubt I'll be allowing them to have that at all now. A private sale seems more sensible at this point.

I think I'll give Consumer services a call this afternoon and see if I should just hand the lot back and demand a total refund.

Good idea.

With some insurance policies you also get a certain level of legal cover - I know mine does (Hiscox) - worth checking.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

For the record, Michell are about one of the easiest suppliers to deal with, they are happy to supply parts etc to non stocking dealers and are happy to give free advice over the phone, when I worked for JA we were not a Michell dealer, but we occasionally bought spare parts and upgrades for customer or traded in goods, Michell were always a pleasure to deal with.

I'd be sending a letter saying you are rejecting the goods as you have never had your HR Supply and if a refund is not forthcoming you will be instructing your CC company to recover the monies. I'd be naming the dealer too

OK cheers for the advice Paul and ESK it is most appreciated. There is a pattern here indeed. I called Henley Audio who supply Ortofon, Project etc in the UK to ask where I stand in terms of warranty for the Cartridge. I assumed they would ask for a serial number from the packaging....neither of which I possess. They asked who supplied the cart to me and immediately gave a long exasperated sigh when I told them. A similar sigh from Johnny at Michell when he phoned me at work this afternoon. I've spoken to Michell a few times and can concur they are superb to speak to.

The dealer is KronosAV based in Dungannon here. They also have a few stores in mainland UK I am now led to believe. They are one of only a small number of HiFi outlets over here and believe me If I thought I could have set up my TT, arm and Cart myself I would have bought from the mainland in a flash.

I like the idea of rejecting the whole lot Paul though wonder where I would stand legally with this approach. I'll call our consumer line on Monday and get some idea of how best to approach this.

I would send the lot back saying the whole order hasn't been fulfilled so you demand a full refund. It sounds like they set up the tt incorrectly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I would send the lot back saying the whole order hasn't been fulfilled so you demand a full refund. It sounds like they set up the tt incorrectly anyway.
    I'm actually feeling very much like this at present. I would just need to get some legal advice before I start writing the serious letters.

The snag might be you have passed the alloted time for a refund. Most retailers give 28 days? I haven't checked the sale of goods act so i may have that wrong.

You are correct ......30 days for refund which is why I shall seek consumer advice on Monday. They've had full payment from me since February, RCM, TT, Arm and cart arrived in March. Since then I have had a series of replies to emails telling me Michell are notorious for keeping customers waiting. Michell were able to tell me they only had an order for the power supply in late August and so far have received no payment so they won't ship it out.

My only receipt was an email confirming I had made payment to Kronos...

Weird ass setup it is.

I asked my older brother who complains about customer service for a living (or it seems that way. He's currently pursuing M&S in a case). He thinks you should write to the dealers saying they have 14 days to honour the contract you made with them. The contract was for a tt package. They have failed to supply the whole package you paid upfront for. If they don't supply the PS in that time, you will seek county court action. It doesn't matter who is at fault over you not receiving the PS (one will blame the other ad infinitum); the dealer has failed to supply everything you ordered in good faith.

OT Steve when you get this sorted, happy to help show you how to settp TT via Skype if necessary, Gary has given sound advice, letter setting out timescale and consequences, don’t enter any dialogue with them, and don’t allow them any time or wifgle room, it’s you calling the shots, and its not your issue if they are having supply problems, its them you have a contract with, not Michell.

Good advice all round here I think. Kind of what I had hoped to hear. I am giving the credit card company a buzz shortly to see how I stand with them. I hate to be juvenile but I now have a particularly bad taste in my mouth and would almost prefer to just hand the lot back.

I shall keep you all posted......if I go silent I've likely been incarcerated

So CC company Santander want all details as they will open a section 75 claim for me. I wonder how that will work when I have some of the order sitting here. Interesting times.

Bit late to this, but I find any retailer who treats a customer in this fashion disgraceful. I'm pleased you've named the dealer and wish you good luck in obtaining a refund or at least a satisfactory outcome.

Update:
    Credit Card are on it though they say it will take 6-8 weeks.

I sent recorded letter to store yesterday outlining my feelings. Response was an email this afternoon apologising and promising to get me the HR power supply as soon as possible. Blame put on old age (I think I am actually older than the store owner!), and the manufacturer.

They also offered me some power cables and mains block (foo in my book) as an apology.

I'll not go into the details but not much adds up in my book. Strange that there is a swift response to a recorded delivery Consumer Rights letter yet it's taken a lifetime to get the actual kit!

I'm going to sleep on this but my gut is saying they can have the lot back. I don't even know if I would actually go for a Michell TT from another supplier now as I am so pissed off. Hell I might just pack in vinyl altogether!

That's right. Send it all back.

Can I have first dibs on your electronica LPs?

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    That's right. Send it all back.

Can I have first dibs on your electronica LPs?
    You can let me know what you would like and we can sure talk Turkey....I've a lot of stuff here ready to shift. Not to mention a shed load of techno and EDM 12" singles if you'd be interested.

No I don't want your Erasure LPs!

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    No I don't want your Erasure LPs!
    Don't think I've ever owned one of those.

+ Reply to Thread