+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got a PT Tarantella up and running with a little bit of Audio Origami magic!

Default Got a PT Tarantella up and running with a little bit of Audio Origami magic!

Hi all,

First post here I think. Late September I picked up a Pink Triangle Tarantella for a decent price, not too far up the road from me. It was fundamentally in good condition, but needed a bit of gentle restoration. Over the course of a couple of months I took apart and fixed the sticky buttons on the 'Hornet' speed controller, polished up the brass parts, cleaned out the bearing well, and replaced the pink LEDs.

The surface mount 400 ohm, surface mount, current limiting resistor had toasted its bit of PCB so I replaced it with a 1/4 watt carbon resistor.
    Once that was all done, I waited for the next pay day... got the car fixed up, and waited for the next next pay day! Anyway, last week I got in contact with J7, and sent him the RB 300 and Ortofon Samba MC it came kitted with. He checked over the Samba and another cartridge I sent him, determined they were fine, then checked over the RB300. We decided that a Cardas internal rewire and a nice new external wire would suit my needs, and early this week I received the arm etc. back again.

I had to wait until today to fit everything together, but I had refilled the bearing with some of J7's special booster oil earlier in the week and allowed it to settle. Today I fitted the arm and cartridge. J7 had left a decent length of wire handing out of the arm, so the tags were easy to connect (very nice tags, just the basic gold-plated ones, but they slid on the pins smoothly and securely. Johnnie had remembered to loosen off the counterweight stub, because I want to try a Technoweight some time, but for now I just fitted the standard tungsten weight. I had to trim the speed back a bit - super slippy oil I suspect! but finally I got a chance for a listen. Wooo! I have not heard a 'normal' RB 300 sounding so lively and involving for a long time if ever!

Big thanks to J7 for sorting this arm so quickly; the external wire is flexible enough not to interfere with the suspension, the REAN plugs and gold-plated earth spade are classy touches, and his work is fantastic value for money. Early Christmas for me, I have got to say!

cheers,

Tim

Last edited by in_denial; 3rd December 2017 at 13:11. Reason: fixed typos

Hi, welcome to the quiet hifi and music forum. Other members may yawn and surface soon. I like a nice pink triangle.

Blog Entries

deck looks great at night with its wee pink lights !!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Thanks for the welcome! I am a PT fan also; I bought my first PT1 in 1985 at Alternative Audio in Solihull (Hobbs Moat Road) -- I think it is a 'Music Matters' hifi shop now.

Do you live in the West Midlands? My Dad used to live up the road from that Music Matters store.

I've never owned a PT TT. My decks have been Dual, Sony, Rega and now a heavily modded Lenco.

Love the on/off switch sitting on the brass spikes.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Very nice looking deck, enjoy.

Nice Christmas present !
    Love it , enjoy much.

/Lennart
    NO ONE : Tangerine Audio Stiletto, Plateau, Skorpion, SME V ( D ), DV DRT XV 1S, Chord Sign Tuned Aray, Cirkus, Radikal Klimax, Tranquility.
    NO LINN : Woodsong, PEEK, SSP 12, AI bobbin https://www.linnarts.se

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Do you live in the West Midlands? My Dad used to live up the road from that Music Matters store.

I've never owned a PT TT. My decks have been Dual, Sony, Rega and now a heavily modded Lenco.
    Hi,

Although I was born in Coventry (my Dad was in the car industry), I only lived there until I was three, then we moved around a bit, but I ended up doing a degree at the University of Warwick. One year I did a summer job on campus, and saved enough to splurge on the PT. I was all set to get a LP12, but the guys at Alternative Audio gave me a demo and I was sold. Before that I had a Thorens TD104 I picked up when we were living overseas, and since 2009 just more PTs and the odd Funk Firm turntable - I have far too many now! I blame t'internet... Mind you, up until about a year ago you could pick up a PT1 or TOO for three or four hundred pounds, often with a reasonable arm included.

Welcome.

Nice deck, enjoy!

Treat the Tarantella like a Rega and position it carefully. We had troubles with new ones sadly, but a good working one was really good I remember.
    Turntable bodger, freelance NVA builder, 'Dad-Taxi...'

A very attractive TT - hope you are enjoying it.

Just bought a PT1 so will soon be part of the PT love in
    Linn LP12, Pink Triangle PT1,Pioneer PL71,modified naim CD3.5,Avondale pre & power amps, DIY isobaric 3 way semi omni speakers

Sorry to use this thread - John (j7) I sent you a PM.

+ Reply to Thread