+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Latest Discoveries

Alex Chilton Ex of the Box Tops (The Letter) was in this Band I think Kenny Bit middle of the road Pop for me I think
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Quote Originally Posted by Jifcom View Post
    here's a female singer which given the right songs could go far, I like her album "East of Eden" but this track is by far the best in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNtLIvCki1I

Jon

Thats a version i did'nt expect, cheers dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Alex Chilton Ex of the Box Tops (The Letter) was in this Band I think Kenny Bit middle of the road Pop for me I think
    Dont know i only used the bands site and wikki but saw no mention of Alex Chilton. Check out The Knife, would'nt class any of it as mid road pop though, each to their own eh.

Yes, The Knife, just discovered them after doing a bit of research on Fever Ray.
    Apparently this is the only solo album she will release, is that true? Shame if it is.

Was about to order from Amazon (free delivery) but your link to Sandbag has it for a tenner.
    Still cheaper than Amazon once Sandbag put the postage on. Thanks.
    Looking forward to this arriving.

Nice one, hopefully we'll both be happy chappies soon eh.

Shame if she does'nt do any other solo work but i recon she may be persuaded by all the good vibes about her Fever Ray release.

Annother recent favorite for night time relaxation is the 2009 Bat For Lashes Album - Two Suns, probably too pop or laid back for some but good anyway with decent sq.

Some live clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZxsP...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRckY...eature=related

There's more but you can see for yourself if interested.

Cheers

Davy

Default Her Name is Calla

Her Name is Calla

A band from Leicester, Leeds and York. They play: Guitars, Trombones, Violins, piano and vocals to mention but a few of their instruments
    I am listening to their latest single 'Maw' which was released to accompany their European Tour last month.

Track one is the title track 'Maw'
    This is a gutsy rolling tune with a rhythmic urgency that just makes you want to jump about. Its hard to compare this to anything I've heard before. Just when you think you've got an idea where the tune is going there are brass instruments thrown in to the mix.....excellent. I may have had a little mosh in the lounge to this track this evening.

Track two - The beat that my heart skipped - This is a melancholy ballad with lovely use of plaintive vocals and violin. I love music that paints pictures for me and this just transports me to so many places, crazy old memories and long forgotten friends. It's kind of folky and a little 'ale house'

This is an incredible reckless brawl of a closing track. 'Dreamlands' begins with just plaintive voice and acoustic guitar. 'Can I worship your body....live inside your skin' Just an idea of the tone of the lyrics here. Immediately the hairs on my neck were bristling as I love this sort of thing. Then out of no where a visceral wave of distortion and guitar feedback builds and builds sweeping the listener along. This fades to a sound like a horn through winter fog on a windswept cliff top. Wailing voices build the tension and there are orchestral strings along with percussion and more distortion. At 13 odd minutes this track is just immense.....I have heard nothing like it and absolutely love it. Towards the end where the vocals return along with the acoustic plucked guitar and strings I am reminded of some Radiohead. I should point out though that the new Radiohead album pales greatly beside this one track.

I am really getting this at the moment.....it's crazy music for forest walks, fires by the ocean, hugs and remembered friends. It's vast and noisy and bloody in places..........the sound of the end of the world next week. It's also gentle, folksy and tender in places. The energy in the music is totally infectious and it is clear the band are great musicians enjoying making this sound.

Sorry if this all sounds a little twee and gushing but I haven't been this impressed by a band since I heard 'The Chameleons' back in the 80's

I'll be picking up their other vinyl shortly.....I've had a quick listen to 'The Quiet Lamb' Album and will post my thoughts later............first impressions.......beautiful apocalyptic wall of sound for big skies!

Just found Dreamlands on YT

Thanks Zygote, I was going to have trouble getting to sleep...

Seriously though, it's film soundtrack music (like most of your stuff) so needs visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Thanks Zygote, I was going to have trouble getting to sleep...

Seriously though, it's film soundtrack music (like most of your stuff) so needs visuals.

Fecky Cheeker! How you'd get to sleep through the reckless mid section of that I don't know.

As for most of my stuff.......I take it you mean my extensive ELO, Bee Gee's and 70's glam!

Funny you should mention the visual thing though as I agree......though I've always found music that gets under my skin to paint the most mental pictures in my head. I rarely listen to lyrics on first few listens to a piece.

Hope you slept ok.....if stuck I recommend Eno 'Thursday Afternoon'

Paul McCartney - Hanglide

B side of this 1986 12":

http://www.discogs.com/release/395252

Great stuff! ;-)

Joe Bonamassa

almost embarrassed to admit to having never heard the guy sooner, but after a phone call from a friend on Friday asking me if i wanted a ticket to see him on Saturday night at the Hammersmith Apollo i had to bring myself rapidly up to speed.

rather than me explain what his music is all about, here are a couple of Utube links for you to listen to.

they don't really give you the full effect, but in all my years of watching live music i have never heard anyone play guitar as good as this guy and amongst some i have seen are Neil Young, Van Morrison, Gary Moore and ZZ Top.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Upgraded Valhalla, Ittok, ESCo Arkiv, Linn Linto, Linn Karik II, Townshend Pre, Linn LK280, PC/Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum (Digital Streaming), Synology 207+ NAS, Kef Kube 100/200, Kef Reference 105.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
    I have never heard anyone play guitar as good as this guy and amongst some i have seen are Neil Young, Van Morrison, Gary Moore and ZZ Top.
    You need to research the likes of Eric Mongrain and Tommy Emmanuel my friend..... They will open your eyes even further.....

Too much Utube stuff available for me to attach.....
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

In a similar vein to Erik Mongrain
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

This young man's pretty nifty too.

20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

ooh some very nice guitar playing right there, i need to investigate further, thanks for the heads up guys
    Linn Sondek LP12, Upgraded Valhalla, Ittok, ESCo Arkiv, Linn Linto, Linn Karik II, Townshend Pre, Linn LK280, PC/Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum (Digital Streaming), Synology 207+ NAS, Kef Kube 100/200, Kef Reference 105.3.

Not new, but I'm just getting into Eva Cassidy.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Dirty bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post

In a similar vein to Erik Mongrain
    This is the sort of stuff you'd expect to find on a Naim CD - very good technically and beautifully recorded but much of a muchness. There are countless exponents who love this stuff to show off their hifi.

Enjoy!!!

+ Reply to Thread